Lounge Chair-Part 2
January 23, 2013
After I was fairly satisfied with my drawing and templates, I started making the bending forms for the legs/stretchers and the arm rests that will be created with bent lamination. Using my templates, I rough cut the forms in MDF and used a flush trim bit to make them match the template perfectly. I was out of packing tape, so I used a little Alabama chrome to protect the surface from glue.
I selected a nice plank of cherry from my stock and began to layout my components for the best grain graphics. Again, the templates are very helpful here.
Next I sliced thin 1/8th inch veneers for the legs/stretchers. 12 layers will get me 1 1/2″ thick. I marked the stock with a triangle before re-sawing to keep the grain oriented.
I used Old Brown Glue hide glue to glue up the lamination. The extended open time really helps with these glue ups and I find that the dried glue is not as hard on planer/joiner knives.
Finish Trestle Table Pics
January 23, 2013
I have been delinquent in posting pictures of the finished walnut trestle table. I never really got any suitable photography done and now it has taken up its daily duty in our kitchen. It’s been about a year since I finished it, and it has a few battle scars, but it still looks great and has even more character.
2013 is the year of the chair
January 7, 2013
I have a couple different chair ideas in mind to build this year, and we also need a new set for our dining room table I built over a year ago. So, I started messing around with this prototype on New Years day. This is certainly a derivative of several other chairs I’ve seen in the past, but hopefully I will be able to put a little of my own spin on it. Making a full scale drawing and then a rough prototype is so helpful in chair making.